Monday, October 13, 2008

The Difficulties of This Work


On the left is a picture of the bathroom we use in Ler. It's separate from the tukul hut where I live. And here's a picture of the inside of the bathroom . . .



Today I'll answer another question I'm often asked . . .


What are the difficulties involved in your work?

Ah, where do I begin? Please don't think I'm getting negative, but I want to give you a realistic picture of what's it's like to work here.

I think the most pressing difficulty is to do this work without a "community;" often, we are solo in the field, or the only non-native person among the natives, and this can become wholly taxing! We need to go out in two's at least (very good Biblical example for this, I dare say; and even the UN sends its people out in twos), but Across does not yet have the human-power to do this, so… it seems that too many of us get wearied quickly, complain a lot, get negative without realizing that is what we've become, and become sick in mind, body and spirit…I pray against this for myself, and trust the Holy Spirit to keep looming larger and larger with/in my daily living/activities in the field.

We do have a half hour "devotions" every morning (on most of the bases) on the bases, where all the local and seconded staff come together, sing praise/worship songs in either English, the mother-tongue of the people or else in Arabic, read the scripture with some exposition, and we pray for whatever needs are raised; this pretty much serves as the means of "community," mostly, and apparently is working, for even when people leave and go else where, what they always say they miss are these devotions; so far, they have not meant a whole lot to me, except for when the people sing in their mother-tongue or when they sing in English, but the patterns and rhythms are in their own language. Then, I usually experience (yes, experience because the Spirit of the Lord Jesus can be experienced, the same way we experience love/loving each other in any/all of our love relationships as human beings) the presence of the Lord and the oneness of the Body of Christ.

Practically, everything u can imagine is a "difficulty:" the lack of maturity/maturing Believers; the lack of trained pastors & evangelists; the lack of people to train and help equip them; the lack of training places for this to be done; the water we drink; the water we bathe in; the bed we sleep on; the hut/house we sleep in; the roof over our heads; the lack of permanent structures to live in; the toilet we use; the food we eat; where & how the food is cooked: the people who cook (lots of times, they're sick!), the flies; the mosquitoes; the snakes; the scorpions; the roads and lack thereof that we walk/travel on; the too much sun/heat at times.

I'm not finished yet! There's also the lack of electricity or solar power; the cost of everything always so high; the place of worship; the cultural and lack of cultural exchanges; the flagrant, destructive (satanic!) tribalism, even in the Church; the flagrant, oppressive devaluation of women and their overburdening work! The physical and verbal abuse of women; the sometimes disregard for children and animals; the way even the smallest child, girl child especially, is expected to begin working from very early in life; the paternalistic, still overly colonial attitudes of "Christians" we work with; always this inability to see ourselves as are in relationship to others as well as to ourselves; the lack of funds and donors to support or help us to help the people with basic, but dire needs, like healthy drinking water that is near to where they live, and so and so on…

Certainly in the midst of all these difficulties I have to remember to "Rejoice in the Lord always." The circumstances often don't give reason to rejoice, but I can always rejoice in the Lord who loves and cares for me. Please keep me in your prayers!

That's it for this post. What you you think about what I just shared? Leave your comment by clicking the link labeled 'comments' below.

7 comments:

  1. Hello Ingrid! What a wonderful opportunity you have been given to share your experiences with the world through this blog. Thank you for taking the time to be so open and honest about living and serving the Lord in Sudan. Your pictures and especially your descriptions of the difficulties of life there bring back memories of my time in Sudan and the struggles I endured. I particularly identify with your longing for community and your desire to share your daily challenges with someone you can relate to.
    Heather and I in our search for an organization to serve with in Sudan are placing a lot of importance on finding a diverse team that we can serve alongside. We are currently exploring SIM and we are encouraged by what we have learned thus far. Are you at all familiar with SIM or their work in SS?
    Please know and take comfort in the fact that you are not alone in the midst of your struggles. Not only is our Lord with you in spirit (as well as His ministering angels: imagine the number around you!), but we are as well--those who continue to regularly lift you up in prayer. Though you are alone and far away, you are not forgotten.
    Thank you for being a blessing an an inspiration to our Sunday School class and to our church as a whole, and thank you for your service to the southern Sudanese--they are indeed blessed to have you in their midst.

    Be blessed--and hang in there!

    Jeff,
    for the Ladines

    p.s. Feel free to write via email anytime you'ld like (or need)to talk about anything--Heather and/or I would be happy to converse with you about whatever's on your heart and mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ingrid,

    I am a CE director at a Presbyterian Church in Mercer, PA, one of the Shenango Presbytery churches who support your ministry in Sudan. I am delighted to find your blog! I am hoping that as a church we can be more connect to the missions we support financially. Being able to read of your experiences here is a great blessing to me, and hopefully I can pass that on to others.

    I really appreciate the reality of the challenges you present in this post. Please don't feel like you shouldn't mention the negative things! It helps us to understand what life is like for you as a missionary, and for everyday Africans. Also, it gives us specific things to pray for! Maybe it also helps you to express these things and know others acknowledge the difficulties, while also acknowledging the blessings.

    Thank you for your ministry, and for representing Christ in the Sudan. My prayers are with you.

    I would be curious to hear more about what you mentioned -- the lack of mature or maturing Christians where you are. What is the general religious makeup of the population where you live? What do you mean by mature/maturing Christians, and how do you see that lack being a problem in your area?

    Thanks for all you do, including sharing your experiences here.

    Holly Schubert

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ingrid
    Dear sister in our Father! Thank you for your recent blog and thank you for its frankness. I am greatly challenged to keep you before our Father in heaven in prayer. Please know that you are greatly loved and honored as Jesus ambassador. I told you how my heart rejoiced when I met you and knew you to be filled with God's Spirit. I was so happy that God had thought of his people in SS and was especially selecting you because you love Him so. May you daily, in the midst of the grinding difficulties, find joy in His Presence. Love Martha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ingrid, Greetings from Western PA. You have been on our minds and in our prayers frequently. But after reading your last blog, I felt I need to write and let you know that we think you are doing such a wonderful job. We sit here in our comfortable environment, complaining about the littlest inconvenience and often not even trying to follow God's plan for us. And you are succeeding in impossible conditions! I wish I were blessed (and I am not) with the ability to communicate some inspirational words to support you. So I will just tell you we love you and pray that God will give you the spiritual and emotional support you need, when you need it! Please take care of yourself! Love, Betsy & Gary (Bob)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheer up, Miss Ingrid. You could be here listening and watching the nonsense going on with the Presidential election.

    -A

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ingrid,

    I am a member of a small church in Shenango Presbytery in western PA and will pray for you tonight. I'm thankful there are willing people like you to take the message of Jesus to places like the Sudan. God continue to bless you and keep you safe!

    Pam Bindas

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well your article helped me terribly much in my college assignment. Hats afar to you dispatch, wish look audacious in the direction of more interdependent articles soon as its united of my pick issue to read.

    ReplyDelete